DiScala & DiScala, LLC
CALL US  203-853-4476

Personal Injury FAQs

How can you help to protect and develop the value of your case?

You can protect the accident scene. Witnesses are lost as time goes on, which is why you should get statements in writing. We will happily assist, but if you are in an accident you can try to get the names of all witnesses while you are at the scene. Many will leave before a police officer arrives. What you do at the scene can make a big difference in how your case unfolds.

You can take a photograph or video of the way the cars look. Most people have cameras on them nowadays. Use them. Videotape a drunk driver. Videotape a witness telling what they saw. Never admit fault or sign anything at the scene. Get the names of all witnesses and a statement if possible. Anything in writing is a permanent record and important to your case.

We will get witness statements as soon as you come to us, so the sooner the better. Passerbys, people who work in the area, people who sit at desks and work in buildings near the scene of an accident are all potential witnesses and can change the value of your case by telling what they heard and saw.

Often a car horn, a skid or a crash will lift a potential witness’ head from a computer screen and turn their attention quickly enough to capture the accident. These witnesses are often invaluable and will go away unless someone finds them. In close liability cases we need to find them. Take photos of the scene, skid marks, weather conditions at the time and place, and do not admit fault or speak to investigators. Instead, call us at (203) 853-4476.

How long do I have to file a claim?

There is a limitation on how long you have to file a claim. This is often tricky and can involve complicated notice requirements, especially if the claim involves municipalities, cities and states.

Who must file a personal injury claim?

We will file the claim on your behalf and determine who the proper party is that should be sued.

What do personal injury claimants get when they win?

Money. Sometimes both punitive and compensatory damages can be awarded. Compensatory damages are designed to make the person “whole.” Money is awarded to pay for a person’s economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages can include repairs for damaged property, lost wages, medical bills and earned vacation or sick time. Loss of life’s enjoyment and pain and suffering comprises the non-economic damages. Punitive damages are designed to punish the person who causes the injuries and are allowed in certain cases only.

How do I know if I have a case?

Contact the personal injury attorneys at DiScala & DiScala by calling (203) 853-4476. We will listen to your claims and can advise you of the best course of action.

What should I ask a personal injury attorney before hiring him?

1. Are you a trial lawyer who has personally tried and won personal injury cases?
2. Is my case important to you or am I going to get lost in the paperwork?
3. What is your experience? (Years in practicing focused on personal injury cases)
4. Do you take cases to trial?
5. What is your reputation in the legal community?
6. Will you represent me on a contingency fee basis?
7. What happens if I sign up with your firm and change my mind?
8. Do you have malpractice insurance?
* Question to ask yourself: Do I feel comfortable with this attorney and their team?

Personal Injury FAQs